- Author: Zephan
- Date: August 31, 2022
- Expansion: WotLK Classic
Welcome to our Warlock class leveling guide for Wrath of the Lich King Classic! Warlocks are absolute masters of demons, shadow, and fire magic, using them to drain the life right out of their opponents gradually. They instill fear wherever they go, leaving almost anything they fight hopeless to combat their deadly tricks. A warlock and their carefully calculated damage-over-time spells allow them to excel in damage over a long period of time.
Warlocks leveling efficiency and fun are exemplary, both for dungeon leveling and solo questing. The Warlock Specializations cater to each need and want, and thanks to talent dual specialization you do not have to choose between either but you can have both. This allows you to adapt your talents for your specific need where you are running a dungeon or in between groups and blitzing through the zones questing.
If you’ve never played a warlock before, then you probably won’t know the best way to combine all your interesting spells. There’s a lot to learn, but this guide will detail some gameplay tips, your path for selecting talents and learning new spells, the best rotation to use, and everything else that influences how fast you level. It may be difficult to love your warlock at first, but once you learn all your abilities and get the hang of the gameplay, you’ll have no problem getting into the groove of methodically eliminating anything that comes in your path.
This guide will go over Affliction which focuses on solo leveling with incredible efficiency. This is achieved by the fact that an Affliction Warlock never has to stop, not for mana but also not for casting. A sufficiently geared Affliction Warlock (and it doesn’t take a lot of gear) can simply run around putting Corruption and Curse of Agony on everything that moves and never runs out of mana or health.
The guide won’t only cover solo leveling, but also dungeon cleaving. Demonology Warlocks provide the best available AOE DPS of all the warlock specializations and arguable of the game whilst leveling up. On top of that, they bring a whole lot of utility to a group, there are the usual Warlock-related utilities such as Healthstones and Soulstones, but on top of that Demonology brings the new Demonic Pact. The fact that Demonology brings both big support and insane AOE DPS to a group makes them excellent for Dungeon Cleaving.
Warlock Strengths & Weaknesses
Talent, Builds, and Glyphs
Abilities to Train
During our leveling journey, there are plenty of spells that provide significant improvements to our leveling efficiency. However, there are also dud levels that don’t provide us with anything that will significantly increase our leveling efficiency. As such it is more than fine to pick up these spells the next turnaround. Here we will outline what spells are worthwhile to go and get when you level up, and which levels you can safely skip for now.
Advice, Tips, and Tricks
- You’ll probably do this naturally, but try to kill enemies anywhere and everywhere you go. If you have full health and mana try pushing your class a bit further. Hopefully, you won’t be taking much damage outside of inflicting it on yourself through Life Tap, but you may run into some dangerous situations that will leave you low on both health and mana.
- Make sure to visit the class Trainer regularly to improve your spells to then make leveling easier.
- Unlike other classes, you will almost always want to fight 3 or more mobs at once in order to speed up your leveling experience.
- Try to fight enemies that are the same level as you as they grant the most XP.
- Remember to use your Hearthstone to get around quickly, if you’re under level 10 you can also use the graveyards as well to save time running back and forth.
- Train up your First Aid, it provides you with a means of a quick recovery and helps when things go south.
- Make sure to always have your Warlock Specific buffs up, Fel Armor, Spellstone, and your demon buffs such as Fel Intelligence (Affliction), Soulstone, and Healthstone ready to use.
- What makes the warlock class so unique is the use of Life Tap. This converts health into mana, which is extremely useful when you consider how much healing a warlock has. You should never be at max health when leveling because this could effectively be used for casting more spells. Balance your health and mana against each other, but never let yourself get so low that you are in danger of dying.
- If you are ever in fear for your life, you can use Howl of Terror to send multiple enemies scurrying. This does have a 40-second cooldown but should give you a great window to get to safety and revive your demon.