- Author: Tavon
- Date: September 28, 2022
- Updated: September 28, 2022
- Expansion: WotLK Classic
Dalaran is the new capital city for both Alliance and Horde players in Northrend. The city is can be found floating in the western side of Crystalsong Forest, a zone characterized by beautiful scenery and high concentrations of the arcane. The city is a sanctuary zone like Shattrath, meaning that Horde and Alliance players coexist in the city without confrontation. Each faction also has their own respective quarters in which members of the opposite faction may not enter.
Starting at level 74, players can pick up a quest from different quest hubs in Northrend that will lead them to Dalaran. For Horde, the quest version is The Magical Kingdom of Dalaran and can be picked up from the following NPCs:
- Magistrix Kaelana at Warsong Hold in Borean Tundra (41.6 53.6)
- Magister Varenthas at Vengeance Landing in Howling Fjord (58.6 62.6)
- Image of Archmage Aethas Sunreaver at Agmar’s Hammer in Dragonblight (29.0 55.4)
- Magister Tyr’ganal at Venomspite in Dragonblight (78.8 45.2)
- Magistrix Phaelista at Conquest Hold in Grizzly Hills (32.0 59.8)
For Alliance, the quest version is The Magical Kingdom of Dalaran and can be picked up from the following NPCs:
- Magister Dath’omere at Valiance Keep in Borean Tundra (58.6 68.2)
- Baron Ulrik von Stromhearth at Vengeance Landing in Howling Fjord (58.6 62.6)
- Image of Archmage Modera at Star’s Rest in Dragonblight (29.0 55.4)
- Vas the Unstable at Wintergarde in Dragonblight (78.8 45.2)
- Magistrix Haelenai at Amberpine Lodge in Grizzly Hills (32.0 59.8)
Both Horde and Alliance Players can receive the quest from Magister Teronus III at the Argent Stand in Zul’Drak (40.6 66.6)
After you take the quest, the quest giver will open a portal that leads to Dalaran. Take this portal, and follow up with Archmage Celinda who helps you in Learning to Leave and Return: the Magical Way. This “Magical Way” is to utilize the attuning crystal within the Violet Gate to teleport down to ground level. Once you have teleported from Dalaran down to the ground, you are able to use the crystal on the ground to teleport back up to the city.
For returns to Dalaran from the ground, look for the purple shield of arcane energy that surround the Lower Teleportation Crystal beneath the floating city.
Note: Do not attempt to run to this teleportation crystal without being on the quest. You will not be able to use it.
Early Access for Mages
As Dalaran is the city of the Kirin’Tor, the Mage faction, players of the Mage class get special privileges when it comes to entering. Starting at level 71, a quest becomes available in Dragonblight which teaches Mages the Teleport: Dalaran spell, allowing them to teleport to Dalaran like they did with previous capitals.
Complete this quest in Dragonblight and you will learn the Teleport: Dalaran spell as a reward.
However you arrive in Dalaran, be sure to learn the Flight Path from Aludane Whitecloud, located in the Krasus’s Landing of Dalaran. You are then able to return from a connected flight path whenever you please. Once you have trained for Cold Weather Flying, available only at level 77, you can fly in and out of the city from Krasus’s Landing. Attempting to fly into other parts of the city will mark you for entering a “Magical No Fly Zone” and force you to dismount after a 10 second timer. Players can also enter by flying through a sewer pipe located at the bottom of the city, which grants entry to the Underbelly of the city.