- Author: Nevermore
- Date: September 12, 2022
- Expansion: WotLK Classic
Your arena team’s comp (short for composition, also known as “setup”, meaning the classes of the team’s members) plays a very big role in whether you’re victorious, or you struggle to win games. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that some comps are simply better than others, and some just won’t work — you won’t get very far in a 2v2 arena team comprised of 2 healers, for example.
This guide lists some of the strongest comps for Elemental Shamans in Wrath of the Lich King, in both the 2v2 and 3v3 formats. We will additionally rank these comps based on how powerful they are — but keep in mind that a good player can succeed with a weaker comp.
Comps listed as “best” will generally perform very well and are considered viable at high ratings. “Good” comps can compete at high ratings, but they may require more effort and better communication in order to succeed. “Decent” comps can definitely win games, but they struggle versus stronger comps.
Elemental Shamans perform best when paired with other caster DPS — these types of teams are usually called “caster cleaves”. This is because we have incredibly high burst damage, but lack consistent crowd control tools, so we shine when paired with specs that can make up for those weaknesses, like Destruction Warlocks and Restoration Druids.
Another major weakness is our lack of a healing reduction effect, like Mortal Strike. Thus we pair well with Arms Warriors and Subtlety Rogues, who can effortlessly apply a healing reduction debuff. On the other hand, our high burst damage means that we can kill players before they even get a chance to be healed, eliminating the need for such a debuff — hence other bursty specs, like Destruction Warlocks and Frost Mages make for some of our best partners.
- Elemental Shaman / Discipline Priest
- Elemental Shaman / Frost Mage
- Elemental Shaman / Destruction Warlock
- Elemental Shaman / Feral Druid
- Elemental Shaman / Marksmanship Hunter
- Elemental Shaman / Retribution Paladin
- Elemental Shaman / Destruction Warlock / Restoration Druid
- This comp is known as “LSD” and is widely considered to be the best 3v3 comp in the game. Ideally played with a Destruction Warlock.
- Elemental Shaman / Affliction Warlock / Restoration Druid
- Elemental Shaman / Arms Warrior / Holy Paladin
- Elemental Shaman / Balance Druid / Restoration Druid OR Discipline Priest
- Elemental Shaman / Shadow Priest / Restoration Druid
- Elemental Shaman / Frost Mage / Restoration Druid OR Discipline Priest