- Author: Nevermore
- Date: September 12, 2022
- Updated: September 12, 2022
- Expansion: WotLK Classic
Your arena team’s comp (short for “composition”, also known as “setup”, meaning the classes of the team’s members) plays a very big role in whether you’re victorious, or you struggle to win games. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that some comps are simply better than others, and some just won’t work — you won’t get very far in a 2v2 arena team comprised of 2 healers, for example.
This guide lists some of the strongest comps for Unholy Death Knight in Wrath of the Lich King, in both the 2v2 and 3v3 formats. We will additionally rank these comps based on how powerful they are — but keep in mind that a good player can succeed with a weaker comp.
Comps listed as “best” will generally perform very well and are considered viable at high ratings. “Good” comps can compete at high ratings, but they may require more effort and better communication in order to succeed. “Decent” comps can definitely win games, but they struggle against stronger comps.
Unholy Death Knights have two possible options for a perfect arena partner: they can either choose to pair up with another high burst class, such as a Retribution Paladin, or they can team up with a healer to ensure high survivability. Both options are quite valid. However, picking a healer as a teammate will generally be the better choice for higher-ranked games!
While we are capable of burst damage and sustained fights with our arsenal of defensive options and self-sustenance, we lack any form of healing reduction. One way to resolve this issue is to pursue our first partner option, in which we pair up with a high burst class, such as an Arms Warrior or a Subtlety Rogue to provide Mortal Strike or Wound Poison.
However, if you chose to pursue a healer as a brother-in-arms, then you will want to fight something known as an “Attrition War,” in which you slowly melt down your enemies with your diseases while persistently trying to break through their gameplan with your high bursts and well-timed crowd control.
- Unholy Death Knight / Holy Paladin
- Unholy Death Knight / Discipline Priest
- Unholy Death Knight / Ret Paladin
- Unholy Death Knight / Resto Shaman
- Unholy Death Knight / Resto Druid
- Unholy Death Knight / Enhancement Shaman
- Unholy Death Knight / Subtlety Rogue
- Unholy Death Knight / Arms Warrior / Holy Paladin
- Unholy Death Knight / Marksmanship Hunter / Holy Paladin
- Unholy Death Knight / Marksmanship Hunter / Discipline Priest
- Unholy Death Knight / Shadow Priest / Holy Paladin
- Unholy Death Knight / Affliction Warlock / Holy Paladin
- Unholy Death Knight / Retribution Paladin / Holy Paladin