- Author: Nevermore
- Date: July 27, 2022
- Expansion: WotLK Classic
Protection Paladins have a standard build that can be subjected to various changes depending on what you require for specific fights or raids. We will display two possible builds, keeping in mind that you have complete freedom in altering them if you favor one set of talents over another.
This build will be most useful for high-end content, regarding the fact that there are no points in Divinity, so we assume that your party/raid group has capable healers. Besides that, it takes all of the crucial talents you’d expect, like Ardent Defender, Divine Sacrifice and of course Hammer of the Righteous.
There are some choices here that aren’t strictly speaking mandatory. The first of those would be Seal of Command — it helps you generate threat in cleave-type fights and on trash, but isn’t too useful on bosses — thus some people don’t see the appeal in it. Furthermore, this build puts 2 points in the mana regeneration Spiritual Attunement talent, where it will often be enough to only have 1 point — this just helps alleviate any mana concerns you may have during the fight, but if you find you don’t need the extra mana regen, you could absolutely put this talent point elsewhere.
This build is incredibly similar to the standard build, while shifting some of talent points towards more utility-focused talents. The biggest difference is the talent distribution in the Retribution tree, putting points into Vindication for its attack power debuff and points into Pursuit of Justice for increased mobility. This comes at the cost of trading points from Conviction, thus giving you slightly worse threat output.
This build also puts points into the Judgements of the Just talent, but as we have explained elsewhere, you will likely not need to apply this debuff yourself, so you could move these 2 points to other talents instead.
- Divine Strength increases our total strength by 15%. A must-have talent considering how many bonuses we gain from Strength alone!
- Toughness increases your overall armor from items by 10% while also reducing movement speed impairing effects by 30%. This talent is mandatory considering how reliant we are on armor!
- Divine Sacrifice is an amazing defensive tool that can be applied to all of your party members within 30-yards of you, granting them a 30% damage transfer buff, redirecting it all to you up to a maximum of 40% of your health. Beware, however, that this effect will break if it renders you below 20% health. You will only want to use this ability for major raid tactics, as it can prove to be a certain life saver!
- Improved Righteous Fury will enhance your Righteous Fury, offering you a permanent 6% damage reduction while the buff is active, turning the spell into a defensive ability as well as a threat generation tool.
- Combat Expertise is one of our most important tools, granting us 6% increased strength and 6 expertise. This is one of our most important min-max talent, helping us achieve our Soft expertise cap without much stress.
- Guarded by the Light is an amazing talent that reduces all total damage spell damage received by 6% while also granting us the ability to perpetually upkeep Divine Plea as long as we hit our target!
- Judgements of the Just is an amazing talent that grants us the ability to debuff raid bosses with 20% reduced attack speed while also reducing the cooldown of Hammer of Justice by a considerable amount. This talent is very strong, reducing boss damage significantly. However, it doesn’t stack with similar attack speed reducing effects that other classes can provide, such as a Death Knight’s Improved Icy Touch which almost all DKs will take, meaning you generally only need to take this talent if your raid has no DKs. Basically, 10-man raids.
- Spiritual Attunement is one of our gimmick talents, allowing us to gain mana when we are healed, either by our own heals or someone else’s. This talent will have a high contribution to our overall gameplay in the later phases of the expansion.
- Touched by the Light is a very strong talent that allows us to stack Spell Power based on our Strength, allowing us to improve spells such as Consecration and Judgement of Wisdom.
- Ardent Defender is one of our bread-and-butter talents, allowing us to survive major damage by literally negating a possible death! This talent works akin to Cheat Death, allowing us to return to 30% health in the case of death. This talent is absolutely mandatory!
- Crusade this talent allows us to increase our overall damage by 3% and an additional 3% against certain types of enemies. This talent alone will help you a great deal with threat generation, the more damage we deal, the more aggro we can generate.
- Seal of Command is an amazing talent that can improve our AoE capabilities, allowing us to hit multiple targets at the same time, dealing additional Holy Damage to each of them!
- Conviction is an optional talent that increases our overall critical strike chance by 5%. This talent does not improve our overall tanking capabilities but it can be a general good stat improvement for dungeons!
- Vindication is a very strong talent that can place a debuff on the target, reducing its overall attack power by a considerable amount! Keep in mind that this talent can affect bosses as well!
- Pursuit of Justice is an amazing talent that improves our mobility, allowing us to move 15% while also reducing any disarm duration! This talent is a great choice if you struggle to position or with pulling packs multiple packs of mobs.
In this panel, we will recommend you different sets of glyphs that you may find useful depending on the situations you find yourself in with minor glyphs being the same for each different situation.
- Glyph of Divine Plea is an amazing glyph that grants us 3% damage reduction from all sources while Divine Plea is active! Keeping in mind that Divine Plea can be maintained indefinitely as long as we attack a target, this glyph is mandatory for raiding!
- Glyph of Seal of Vengeance is one of our strongest glyphs, allowing us to increase our expertise by 10! This glyph is mandatory for raiding and min-maxing as we do not get a 10 expertise rating but 10 expertise in total as long as we use Seal of Vengeance!
- Glyph of Righteous Defense improves the chance of our taunting abilities to land on a target! This glyph is similar to other tanking specialization glyphs, being a very good choice in raids!
- Glyph of Seal of Command is a great tool for early mana management, especially in dungeons! It allows you to regenerate 8% of your base mana pool after you use any Judgement while having Seal of Command active!
- Glyph of Spiritual Attunement is a good choice if you are heavily struggling with mana! This glyph can be powerful when you are in the early stages of dungeon grinding!
- Glyph of Consecration is a great tool for Consecration upkeep, allowing you to use more abilities in-between Consecration casts, as it now lasts 10 seconds.
- Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous is another great tool for AoE allowing you to hit 1 additional enemy. This is very handy on AoE-heavy fights.
- Glyph of Sense Undead is one of the strongest glyphs that you can acquire, especially since the whole expansion is Undead themed. It allows you to increase your damage against Undead targets by 1% while Sense Undead is active.
- Glyph of Lay on Hands is a great glyph that reduces the cooldown of Lay on Hands by 5 minutes. This glyph is a great choice, especially considering how strong Lay on Hands is!
- Glyph of Blessing of Kings reduces the mana cost of Blessing of Kings and Greater Blessing of Kings by 50%! This glyph is extremely good for raid groups that do not have many paladins in them.