- Author: Malphaz
- Date: June 8, 2019
- Expansion: WotLK Classic
Welcome to the Frost Mage PvP guide for World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King. In this guide, you will learn about playing a Frost Mage at its peak and all you need to know about arena and compositions.
By far, Frost Mage is considered the king of casters when it comes to arena and PvP setups, where one Frost Mage can turn a fight upside down and make his enemy’s life a living hell with how much CC he can bring to the table.
This should be your highest priority when creating your mage:
- Undead: Will of the Forsaken (CC breaker on some bosses)
- Troll: Berserking (Cast Speed CD)
- Blood Elf: Arcane Torrent (Mana) and Highest Base Intellect (Little extra crit)
Depending on your playstyle, Undead & Blood Elves are the best for PvP.
- Human: Increased Spirit (More crit with Molten Armor)
- Gnome: Increased Int (more crit)
- Draenei: Increase Raid Hit by 1%.
There is no question, Humans are the best race for PvP
As always, your playstyle will be your guide here as well but you should keep some general numbers that are required:
- Hit: 4% (120 Hit Rating)
- Spellpower: 3200+
- Haste: 1250+
- Spell Penetration: 135
- Resilience: 1000 – 1150
- Critical Chance: 20% and ideally 23%
- Demonology Warlock
- Balance Druid
- Feral Druid
- Shadow Priest
- Discipline Priest
- Retribution Paladin
- Survival Hunter
- Frost Mage
- Rogue + Priest
- Rogue + Restoration Druid
- Demonology Warlock + Restoration Druid
- Elemental Shaman + Discipline Priest
- Balance Druid + Restoration Shaman
- Survival Hunter + Restoration Shaman / Druid
- Death Knight + Restoration Shaman / Druid
- Elemental Shaman + Holy Paladin
- Jewelcrafting: Effectively 42 Resilience: 3 Dragons Eye Gems (39SP, 34 Resilience, 34 Haste). Generally Resilience dragons eyes are taken.
- Tailoring: Effectively 98 Spell Power: 295 SP proc for 15 seconds and a 50% proc chance, this equates to roughly a consistent +98 spell power assuming it procs right after the Internal Cooldown finishes (45 seconds). Beware of loss of 35 spell penetration which should be covered by extra gems. You would be advised to take this if you are planning to run double dps comps(rogue/mage).
- Engineering: Effectively 68 Haste and 12 Crit with movement speed boost: (Hyperspeed Accelerators) 340 Haste active with 20% uptime and (Nitro Boosts) 3 Minute CD movement speed boost along with 24 Crit rating.
- Alchemy: Effectively 47 Spell Power: Mixology gives bonus SP on Flask of the Frost Wyrm.
- Enchanting: Effectively 46 Spell Power: 2 ring enchants (23 × 2).
- Blacksmithing: Effectively 46 Spell Power / 40 Resilience: 2 bonus gem sockets, 1 on Wrists, 1 on Hands.
- Inscription: Effectively 46 Spell Power: This replaces the 24 SP and 15 crit rating Shoulder Enchant from Sons of Hodir.
- Leatherworking: Effectively 46 Spell Power: Fur Lining – Spell Power (76 Spell power) replaces the Standard 30 Spell power wrist Enchant.
- Skinning: 40 Crit Rating: Master of Anatomy.
- Mining: Gives Stamina (Not worth it).
- Herbalism: Only gives a heal (Not worth it).
- First Aid: This is a must have especially if you will be running double DPS comp.
- Cooking: Effectively 46 Spell Power: Great & one of the easiest profession to level and a must have for the extra stats for arena.