- Author: Passion
- Date: January 6, 2023
- Updated: January 7, 2023
- Expansion: WotLK Classic
The forge master of Yogg-Saron himself, ignis-the-furnace-master toils at the Colossal Forge, creating and improving the iron armies of Ulduar.
This guide will offer a detailed, step-by-step tutorial on how to quench the flames of the forge and the titanic forge master himself.
- Stop casting during Flame Jets
- Make sure you aren’t standing in scorch
- Position yourself so that you can always reach brittle Iron Constructs
- Make sure to take special care of the incapacitated players, they will take significant damage every second but receive a big DPS buff if they survive.
- Tank Ignis close to the water
- Move the boss from scorch so that your DPS are not at risk
This fight is fairly simple, being a simple tank and spank for the majority of the group, with the majority of mechanics falling on the off-tank.
Raid Composition & Preparation
Before pulling Ignis, make sure you have cleared the area of trash mobs. Your main-tank will want to pull him close to the pools of water found adjacent to the center of the room. Ranged DPS should be within range of the water, able to shatter Iron Constructs whenever they become brittle.
A Misdirection pull can be very useful here, allowing the tank to already be in position from the start.
For most of the raid this is a fairly simple fight. Ignis himself has very few mechanics. At the very start of the fight, the only mechanic to watch out for is flame-jets. When Ignis starts casting this, finish your current cast and start casting instant spells until it is finished.
Occasionally, Ignis will grab a player and toss them into his slag-pot, incapacitating them and dealing damage every second for 10 seconds. Healers will need to take extra care of that player, keeping them alive. If they manage to survive those 10 seconds, they will receive a major Haste buff when they are released.
The main-tank will have to constantly move around the arena to avoid standing in scorch, or forcing any raid members to stand in it. While avoiding scorch, you will still always want to be within range of water to make positioning easier for everyone.
Roughly 20 seconds into the fight, Ignis will begin activating Iron Constructs. Your raid leader should call this out, and the off-tank should pick them up ASAP, bringing them into scorch. If there is no scorch, bring them to Ignis feet in preparation for the next cast.
After an Iron Construct has been in scorch for 10 seconds, receiving 10 stacks of heat total, they will become molten. When a Construct becomes molten, it resets all threat and will deal significantly more damage, as well as pulsing constant fire damage to everyone within 7-yards of the add. The off-tank will have to pick it up immediately to avoid it wreaking havoc on the raid.
If your raid wants to play it a bit safer, the Iron Constructs can be rooted inside scorch using spells like Entangling Roots, this reduces the damage the off-tank takes, relieving some healer pressure. You can also play it even safer by placing healers in the water, so that when the Construct goes molten and resets threat, it will run straight to the healers and be immediately stunned when it touches the water.
The off-tank should immediately move the add away from the group and into the closest body of water, found on either side of the arena. Once a molten Construct touches water, it will become brittle, stunning it. The off-tank should immediately get away from brittle Constructs, while a ranged DPS uses a hard-hitting attack to shatter the construct. The construct will only shatter if you deal a minimum of 5000 damage in one single hit, so any instant cast burst damage will be good for this.
shattered Iron Constructs will explode, dealing AoE damage to everyone within 10-yards, so make sure the raid keeps their distance.
Here are some of the main things that can typically go wrong in this fight:
- The off-tank gets overwhelmed by adds and takes more damage than they can handle
- The off-tank cannot reestablish threat on molten Contructs, leading to chaos
- The Iron Constructs are awkwardly positioned, leading to major raid damage
- The DPS assigned to shattering Iron Constructs is tossed into the slag-pot. Make sure you have a backup!
- Healers cannot keep the incapacitated player alive through slag-pot, leading to deaths
- The main-tank fails to reposition the boss effectively between scorches, causing DPS to either die or be unable to DPS effectively
- Defeat the bosses of The Siege area in Ulduar. These bosses are Flame Leviathan, Razorscale, Ignis the Furnace Master, and XT-002 Deconstructor.
- Survive slag-pot for this achievement. There is no way to guarantee that you are the target of this spell, so you will simply have to wait your turn!
- Kill Ignis within 4-minutes of pulling him. This will likely not be much of a challenge in Classic, so you’ll simply get this as your raid improves.
Congratulations on defeating Ignis! Make your way straight across to help end the suffering of the furnace master’s latest creation, Razorscale.