- Author: Dwarflord
- Date: February 2, 2023
- Expansion: WoW Classic
If you weren’t aware yet, the SOM realms are closing on February 14th, 2023. If you still have a Season of Mastery character remaining on those servers, you are likely thinking of transferring them.
This guide will cover how to transfer, where you could transfer to, and some mistakes to avoid.
How to Transfer to Classic Era
- When you are on the character login screen, hit the shop button in the bottom-left.
- You will be taken to an image that looks like this (below). I suggest you choose the Free Transfer.
- Once you click OK, you will see this screen (below). Select which character you want to transfer in the dropdown, and then click the checkbox to see the transfer realm options.
- Click the “and 3 more…” to reveal the Classic Era realms.
Many people who want to transfer to Classic Era accidentally click on a WotLK realm of the same name. I will share one such story later in this article.
- Once you select your realm, you simply click OK, and in several minutes it should complete automatically! Just make sure you have no items in your mail.
Which Server Should I Pick?
There are four main clusters of servers that all are connected with each other. The server has a different name, but the players can all be in the same guild. The clusters are listed below. Other clusters do exist, however, these are the main ones.
- (PVP) Whitemane is clustered/connected with: Anathema, Arcanite Reaper, Bigglesworth, Blaumeux, Fairbanks, Kurinnaxx, Rattlegore, Smolderweb, and Thunderfury
- (PVE) Mankrik is clustered/connected with: Ashkandi, Pagle, Westfall, and Windseeker
- (PVP) Firemaw is clustered/connected with: Ashbringer, Bloodfang, Dragonfang, Earthshaker, Gandling, Golemagg, Mograine, Noggenfogger, and Skullflame
- (PVE) Pyrewood Village is clustered/connected with: Mirage Raceway and Nethergarde Keep
The servers all have strong populations, however, I recommend making a level one character on the server you are interested in to make sure it’s a good fit for you. For example, if you are a horde player, there are horde players on both Whitemane and Mankrik, however, Whitemane is a 50/50 split population whereas Mankrik is made up of 75% alliance players.
Mistakes To Avoid
Do you recall when I talked about choosing the realm to transfer to, I mentioned that some realms have the same name?
Make sure you are selecting the correct realm.
Make a level one character on that realm, talk to people, join the Discord. Whatever you need to do. Below is a picture of a post where a supposed 78-year-old granny selected the wrong realm. Keep in mind that these server transfers are IRREVERSIBLE. Thankfully, in typical Classic WoW fashion the community shared this post around; it was, in fact, reversed and the character was sent to Classic Era instead. I would not expect them to correct that mistake for everyone.
I hope this guide was helpful in figuring the transfer process out and gave you ideas for where to transfer your SOM characters to!