- Author: Furious
- Date: May 8, 2019
- Expansion: WoW Classic
World of Warcraft Classic has several dungeons and raids for you and a group of mighty adventurers to clear and defeat. Some dungeons only require you to reach a certain level to enter, but some of them require you to complete a quest or set of tasks to prove your worth. This process is known as attunement. This guide will illustrate the dungeons that require an attunement, and what you’ll need to do complete that attunement!
As of right now, there are 10 dungeons and 4 raid instances that have some sort of attunement attached to them. Not all attunements are required to access the dungeon, although most are. Some attunements exist to offer you access to a shortcut within a dungeon, or even access to additional areas that weren’t available previously.
In addition to some attunements unlocking different things, there are also different styles of attunements. Dungeon attunements are all single player attunements, meaning that only one player in your group is required to have completed the attunement to access it. Even if all four other members aren’t attuned, they can still participate because of the one attuned player.
In contrast, raid attunements are different. All raid attunements require each individual player to complete attunement in order to access what it unlocks. This does mean that you may be required to finish attunement on your own before even entering most of the raids in this guide.
Dungeon attunements only require a single player in the group to have them completed. Not all of them are required for entry, but they are a necessity to reach certain areas in the dungeon.
Gnomeregan – Workshop Key
The attunement for Gnomeregan is also very easy. It unlocks the back entrance to Gnomeregan, which lets you skip a good portion of the dungeon.
Scarlet Monastery – The Scarlet Key
Scarlet Monastery is a special dungeon because of the way it is broken up into multiple wings. One wing that isn’t locked, the Library wing, contains The Scarlet Key in Doan’s Strongbox at the end of the wing. You need this key in order to enter SM Armory or SM Cathedral.
Much like Stratholme, all you need to do is loot the key to complete attunement. Kill Arcanist Doan at the end of the Library Wing, and pick up the key from Doan’s Strongbox.
Zul’Farrak – Mallet of Zul’Farrak
Zul’Farrak doesn’t have an attunement requirement for entry, but does have one to summon the hydra boss, Gahz’rilla.
Acquiring the Mallet of Zul’Farrak is fairly straightforward. Climb to the top of the Altar of Zul in The Hinterlands to find Qiaga the Keeper. Kill her and pick up a Sacred Mallet. You’ll want to bring friends as Qiaga and friends are elites.
Now make your way to the top of Jintha’Alor to find another altar (once again, brings friends). Use the Sacred Mallet there to transform it into the Mallet of Zul’Farrak, ending the attunement process.
Maraudon – Scepter of Celebras
Maraudon’s attunement isn’t required for entry, but you will need to finish it if you want a shortcut straight to the final boss, Princess Theradras. The attunement unlocks a portal transporting you straight to Earth Song Falls.
To complete the attunement, you’ll need to finish the quest: Legends of Maraudon. The quest requires you to loot an item from the corpse of Lord Vyletongue and Noxxion, the two end bosses for the Orange and Purple sides of Maraudon.
After receiving both items, kill Celebras the Cursed near the large waterfall. Upon his death, Celebras the Redeemed will spawn for you to hand in your quest. Quickly help Celebras with his ritual to receive the Scepter of Celebras, which completes the attunement.
The Temple of Atal’Hakkar – Yeh’kinya’s Scroll
You can enter The Temple of Atal’Hakkar without attunement, but you won’t be able to summon Avatar of Hakkar without doing so. You’ll need to complete a few quests in order to complete this attunement.
- Speak with Yeh’kinya in Steamwheedle Port to receive the quest: Screecher Spirits.
- Head to Feralas and capture 3 screecher spirits, then make your way back to Yeh’kinya in Tanaris.
- Accept the next quest: The Prophecy of Mosh’aru. This requires you to loot items from two bosses in Zul’Farrak, including Gahz’rilla. You must complete an attunement to summon Gahz’rilla (or have a party member that has done so).
- After this, head back to Yeh’kinya in Tanaris. Accept the next quest: The Ancient Egg.
- Head to the top of Jintha’Alor in The Hinterlands to find the Ancient Egg inside a cave.
- Return to Yeh’kinya once again. Accept the final attunement quest: The God Hakkar.
- Use the Egg of Hakkar to summon Avatar of Hakkar. Kill him and loot the Essence of Hakkar. Combine it with the egg to create the Filled Egg of Hakkar.
- Go back to Yeh’kinya in Tanaris to finish the quest and complete attunement!
Blackrock Depths – Shadowforge Key
The giant behemoth of a dungeon known as Blackrock Depths doesn’t require attunement for entry, but is involved in the attunement of Molten Core and also has an attunement for itself offering a player several shortcuts to skip parts of the dungeon.
To attune to Blackrock Depths, you’ll first need to die in Blackrock Mountain. This is because you need to talk to an NPC ghost, Franclorn Forgewright, who is only visible when you are a ghost. You can find him in Forgewright’s Tomb, located at the center of Blackrock Mountain.
He’ll give you the quest: Dark Iron Legacy. To complete the quest, you’ll need to kill one of the bosses of Blackrock Depths, Fineous Darkvire. Loot the Ironfel, and bring it to the Shrine of Thaurissan. This is located where Pyromancer Loregrain is. Once you place the Ironfel on the statue, you’ll receive the Shadowforge Key, completing the attunement.
Upper Blackrock Spire – Seal of Ascension
The attunement associated with Upper Blackrock Spire is a wearable ring, the Seal of Ascension. It is required for entry into Upper Blackrock Spire.
To complete attunement, you must finish the quest: Seal of Ascension. It is offered by Vaelan, located within Lower Blackrock Spire. The quest requires you to loot gems that drop from bosses within Lower Blackrock Spire. You’ll then need to visit Dustwallow Marsh and defeat the dragon Emberstrife. After doing so, Emberstrife will create the ring for you.
Vaelan originally appears as a hostile mob but when approached turns into a friendly human form. You need to carry an Unadorned Seal of Ascension in your inventory to be able to receive or hand in any quests. He can be found on an upper platform in the first area of LBRS after the entrance-hall.
Scholomance – Skeleton Key
The dungeon of Scholomance undoubtedly has the longest attunement process of any dungeon. You’ll need to complete several quests and also pay 15 gold to complete attunement. Here is the quest chain you’ll need to complete:
- The first quest is the only difference between factions in the chain. If you’re Alliance, head to Chillwind Camp in Western Plaguelands and accept the quest: Clear the Way from Commander Ashlam Valorfist. If you’re Horde, go to The Bulwark and accept the quest: Scarlet Diversions from High Executor Derrington.
- If you’re Alliance: simply kill 10 Skeletal Flayers and 10 Slavering Ghouls in the nearby Sorrow Hill. If you’re Horde: go to the Scarlet Crusade Base Camp located north of Chillwind Camp and set it on fire.
- Return to Commander Ashlam Valorfist (Alliance) or High Executor Derrington (Horde).
- Both Factions: accept the quest: Scholomance.
- Head to The Bulwark and speak with Apothecary Dithers (Horde) or Chillwind Point for Alchemist Arbington (Alliance).
- Accept the next quest: Skeletal Fragments.
- Head to the Ruins of Andorhal and collect 15 Skeletal Fragments from Skeletal Acolytes and Skeletal Executioners.
- Return to The Bulwark (Horde) or Chillwind Point (Alliance) and turn in your fragments. Accept the next quest: Mold Rhymes With…
- With your 15 gold in your inventory, take the Imbued Skeletal Fragments to Gadgetzan and locate Krinkle Goodsteel.
- Accept the next quest: Fire Plume Forged.
- Collect two thorium bars, and take them to Un’Goro Crater. Make your way to the peak of Fire Plume Ridge, and use your Skeleton Key Mold to create an Unfinished Skeleton Key.
- Head back to Apothecary Dithers at The Bulwark (Horde) or Alchemist Arbington in Chillwind Point (Alliance).
- Accept the quest: Araj’s Scarab.
- Head to Andorhal and kill the undead monster, Araj the Summoner. Loot Araj’s Scarab from his corpse, and make your way to The Bulwark (Horde) or Chillwind Point (Alliance).
- After turning in Araj’s Scarab, you’ll receive the quest The Key to Scholomance, which is instantly completed. Attunement is now finished!
Stratholme – Key to the City
While you don’t need to complete Stratholme’s attunement for entry, you will need it to access the side entrance. This lets you begin the dungeon on the Undead sector, making it much quicker to reach the final boss.
The attunement process is much easier than others, as all you need to do is loot the Key to the City off the corpse of Magistrate Barthilas. Magistrate Barthilas is found near the end of the dungeon, and will always drop one key.
Dire Maul – Crescent Key
The Dire Maul attunement is not necessary to enter the dungeon. You will need it if you want to open the Shen’dralar Study or the North and West wings of the dungeon.
To acquire the Crescent Key, you’ll simply need to kill a pesky imp known as Pusillin. You’ll know you have the right imp if you end up chasing him over a majority of the beginning of the dungeon. Pusillin can be found in Dire Maul East.
The following raid instances have attunements associated with them. Naxxramas and Onyxia require attunement for entry, but Blackwing Lair and Molten Core’s attunements simply serve for quicker access to the raid entrance.
Molten Core – Attunement to the Core
Molten Core’s attunement allows you to quickly enter. The main entrance is towards the end of Blackrock Depths, meaning it’s a very inefficient way to get enter the raid.
Instead, you can complete the simple attunement process and save yourself the hassle. Speak to Lothos Riftwaker in Blackrock Mountain and accept the quest: Attunement to the Core. Make your way through the dungeon until you reach the entrance to Molten Core. Loot a Core Fragment near the entrance to complete the quest. You can easily return to the entrance of Molten Core by speaking to Lothos Riftwaker.
For more information read our full WoW Classic Molten Core Attunement Guide.
Onyxia’s Lair – Drakefire Amulet
The most tedious and time consuming attunement process is undoubtedly associated with the dragon Onyxia. Both the Alliance and Horde have a lengthy questline that will take them across multiple zones and deep into Blackrock Spire. The questline differs for each faction, so they’ll be separated into their own section below. You can also read our full WoW Classic Onyxia’s Lair Attunement Guide.
The goal for each questline is to acquire a Drakefire Amulet, which is required for entry into Onyxia’s Lair. The necklace will also come in handy during the Onyxia fight itself because it has fire resistance. Check out the questline for your faction below!
- Head to southeast Burning Steppes to accept the first quest: Dragonkin Menace from Helendis Riverhorn. This quest requires you to kill 15 Black Broodlings, 10 Black Dragonspawn, 4 Black Wyrmkins, and 1 Black Drake. These can be found near a cave north of Morgan’s Vigil. Return to Helendis Riverhorn when finished.
- Accept the second quest: The True Masters. For this quest, just take the letter you’ve been given to Lakeshire in Redridge Mountains. Give it to Magistrate Solomon. Next you’ll need to make a stop in Stormwind, then talk to Ragged John in northern Burning Steppes. Head South to Marshal Maxwell once finished.
- Accept the third quest: Marshal Windsor. For this quest, you’ll need to find Marshal Windsor. You’ll need to progress through Blackrock Depths to reach the prison area to find him.
- Accept the fourth quest: Abandoned Hope. Simply head back to Marshal Maxwell at Morgan’s Vigil.
- To get the next quest, you’ll need to kill monsters in Blackrock Depths until you loot A Crumpled Up Note, which starts and completes the fifth quest: A Crumpled Up Note. Go back to Marshal Windsor in Blackrock Depths.
- Accept the sixth quest: A Shred of Hope. To complete this quest, you’ll need to loot items from Golem Lord Argelmach and General Angerforge, both within Blackrock Depths. Return to Marshal Windsor within Blackrock Depths.
- Accept the seventh quest: Jail Break! As the quest name suggests, you’ll have to assist Marshal Windsor in his escape from Blackrock Depths. Your best bet is to clear as many enemies as possible before starting the escort quest. Once successful, turn the quest in with Marshal Maxwell in Morgan’s Vigil.
- Accept the eighth quest: Stormwind Rendezvous. This is a super simple quest, just go to Stormwind and speak to Squire Rowe. Afterwards, go to the entrance of Stormwind and speak with Marshal Windsor.
- Accept the ninth quest: The Great Masquerade. For this one, you’ll need to protect Reginald Windsor as he travels through Stormwind. Although it seems intimidating, Bolvar will actually do most of the fighting for you. Just focus on staying alive!
- Accept the tenth quest: The Dragon’s Eye. With the Fragment of the Dragon’s Eye in your inventory, seek out Haleh in Winterspring. You’ll find her hiding at the back of a cave in Mazthoril.
- Accept the eleventh and final quest: Drakefire Amulet. Head to Upper Blackrock Spire. Clear through the dungeon until you kill General Drakkisath and loot his corpse. Return to Haleh in Mazthoril, Winterspring.
- Once you get back, you’ll receive your fresh Drakefire Amulet, allowing you entrance into Onyxia’s Lair. Congratulations, attunement complete!
- Head to Kargath in The Badlands to accept the first quest: Warlord’s Command from Warlord Goretooth. To complete this quest, you’ll need to kill Highlord Omokk, Overlord Wyrmthalak, and War Master Voone inside Lower Blackrock Spire. Return to Warlord Goretooth in The Badlands upon completion.
- Accept the second quest: Eitrigg’s Wisdom. This quest is short and simple. Go to Orgrimmar and talk to Eitrigg in Thrall’s Chamber. Speak to Thrall afterwards to finish up.
- Accept the third quest: For The Horde! Progress through Upper Blackrock Spire and kill Warchief Rend Blackhand. After looting his head, return to Thrall in Orgrimmar.
- Accept the fourth quest: What the Wind Carries. Another quick one here. Just listen to Thrall tell you his story.
- Accept the fifth quest: The Champion of the Horde. For this one, you’ll need to locate Rexxar somewhere along the main road of Desolace. Your best bet is to start running from Shadowprey Village until you eventually run into him.
- Accept the sixth quest: Mistress of Deception. Make your way to Western Plaguelands and go south of Andorhal to find Myranda the Hag in Sorrow Hill.
- Accept the seventh quest: Oculus Illusions. You’ll need to collect a total of 20 Black Dragonspawn Eyes from Upper Blackrock Spire. 2 of them drop from each dragonkin. Once you’ve collected all 20, head back to Myranda the Hag in Sorrow Hill.
- Accept the eighth quest: Emberstrife. Now your task is to go to Emberstrife’s Den. You can find it near Wyrmbog in Dustwallow Marsh. After you’ve found the den, put on the Amulet of Draconic Subversion you’ve been given so you can speak with Emberstrife.
- Accept the ninth, tenth, and eleventh quests: The Test of Skulls, Chronalis, The Test of Skulls, Scryer, The Test of Skulls, Somnus. You can complete these in any order.
- For The Test of Skulls, Chronalis: Head to Tanaris and go to the Caverns of Time. Kill Chronalis, who is blocking the entrance and pick up his skull. This quest is turned in at Emberstrife in Dustwallow Marsh.
- For The Test of Skulls, Scryer: You’ll need to find Scryer in Winterspring. Scryer is close to Mazthoril, hiding in a cave. You’ll know you’re in the right spot when you find the Haleh teleport. Don’t forget to loot his skull. This quest is turned in at Emberstrife in Dustwallow Marsh.
- For The Test of Skulls, Somnus: Now you’ll need to go Swamp of Sorrows and head south of The Temple of Atal’Hakkar (Sunken Temple). Kill Somnus once you find him and loot his skull.
- After killing Chronalis, Scryer, and Somnus, accept the twelfth quest: The Test of Skulls, Axtroz. To locate Axtroz, go to the Wetlands and head to the eastern part of the zone until you’re in Grim Batol. Kill and loot Axtroz for his skull. Return to Emberstrife in Dustwallow Marsh upon completion.
- Accept the thirteenth quest: Ascension... For this quest, you’ll need to find Rexxar in Desolace. Take your Dull Drakefire Amulet to finish the quest.
- Accept the fourteenth and final quest: Blood of the Black Dragon Champion. Return to Upper Blackrock Spire once again, and kill General Drakkisath. Loot his blood, and go back to Rexxar in Desolace.
- Upon your return, you’ll receive your shiny, new Drakefire Amulet, permitting you entry into Onyxia’s Lair. Congratulations, attunement complete!
Blackwing Lair – Orb of Command
The attunement for Blackwing Lair allows you a much quicker entrance to the raid. This is actually fairly important considering the standard entrance is found a significant way through Upper Blackrock Spire.
To complete attunement, you’ll need to kill the Scarshield Quartermaster inside Blackrock Mountain. You’ll find him before the entrance to Blackrock Spire, down a corridor to the right. Pick up the item Blackhand’s Command, which will prompt you to accept a quest.
To complete the quest, clear Upper Blackrock Spire and kill General Drakkisath. Now you can interact with the Orb of Ascension, completing your attunement! To quickly enter Blackwing Lair, return and use the orb near where you killed the Scarshield Quartermaster.
For more information read our full WoW Classic BWL Attunement Guide.
Naxxramas – The Dread Citadel: Naxxramas
Attunement to Naxxramas is the only attunement that requires a reputation level. You’ll need to reach a minimum of honored with the Argent Dawn faction. Once you’re at least honored, you’ll be given a quick quest: The Dread Citadel – Naxxramas to complete the attunement.
Once caveat with the attunement is the cost associated with it. If you’re honored with Argent Dawn, then you’ll need to pay 60 gold, 5 arcane crystals, 2 nexus crystals, and 1 righteous orb to finish the quest. At revered, it drops to 30 gold, 2 arcane crystals, and 1 nexus crystal. If you’re exalted, you won’t have to pay anything!