- Author: Tavon
- Date: May 2, 2022
- Expansion: TBC Classic
Doom Lord Kazzak is a World Boss in Hellfire Peninsula, who spawns on an inconsistent basis, and typically draws a crowd of Horde and Alliance to see through to his defeat. The encounter is often approached as engaging Kazzak, and bursting DPS to avoid his Enrage at a face paced 54 seconds. Because this boss is in the open world, this encounter can also be approached with a full raid of 40 players.
You may also remember Lord Kazzak from the Tainted Scar in the Blasted Lands Zone in the original World of Warcraft Classic. This Ered’ruin Demon is a pivotal character in Warcraft history, as he utilized an artifact uncovered in the Tainted Scar which allowed him to reopen the Dark Portal. This led to him being promoted to Doom Lord, and he now resides at the Throne of Kil’jaeden where he commands the Burning Legion.
This area in Hellfire Peninsula is only reachable by flying mount, so only level 70 players (and 68 druids) will be able to participate in the encounter.
New in Phase 4 of The Burning Crusade Classic, Doom Lord Kazzak’s loot is now Bind-on-Equip, meaning that you sell, trade, and mail loot to other players or your alts.
- Everyone in the Raid will first of all need a flying mount to get to the Throne of Kil’jaeden area of Hellfire Peninsula to engage with the boss.
- As Doom Lord Kazzak is a world boss, you will need to be part of a coordinated group that gets to the boss soon after he spawns, as there will be other groups looking to be the one’s who get his spoils. This may also mean that on PvP servers you may need to beat out the opposite faction as well as other groups.
- This fight is best approached with full consumables and buffs, as ideally the encounter only lasts about a minute.
- All members of the raid with mana need to be aware of whether or not they are targeted with Mark of Kazzak, and if they are, to run away from the raid to avoid dealing AoE damage to your raid members.
- This fight is nothing short of a DPS race. Prepare all cooldowns maximize your output to try and keep the fight under a minute.
- Be sure to remain behind the boss to avoid taking damage from Cleave.
- Retribution Paladins and Enhancement Shamans may be targeted by Mark of Kazzak, so be prepared to run away from the rest of the group quickly.
- Rogues should prepare to use Cloak of Shadows when the Enrage comes around at 54 seconds.
- Healers need to be sure to dispel Twisted Reflection right away to avoid Doom Lord Kazzak healing significantly.
- Holy Paladins will want to be prepared to use Divine Shield at the Enrage point to avoid damage from the back to back Shadowbolt Volleys, and continue focussing their healing on the tank.
- Priests need to be using Mass Dispel to remove the effects of Twisted Reflection.
- Dispel Thunderclap from the Tank to help increase threat generation. Melee will be grateful of Mass Dispel, which Priests will already be casting on the Melee group.
- There will without a doubt be heavy raid damage throughout the encounter, so prepare healing assignments to help prevent overhealing.
- Whenever a member of the raid dies, Doom Lord Kazzak gains 70k health via Capture Soul. Read that again. You will need to be consistently healing through this sprint of a fight to ensure that Kazzak does not gain too much health from a raid member’s perish.
- The main tank need only to treat this as a tank and spank style fight, keeping Doom Lord Kazzak positioned in the center of his platform and facing away from the remainder of the raid.
- Any off tanks should be building threat while standing with the melee group, behind the boss, because the frontal Cleave does not split damage between targets.
- Save Shield Wall for the Enrage at 54 seconds into the encounter.
Raid Composition & Preparation
Once all of the adds are cleared from the area, groups will typically position themselves on one of the ledges above Doom Lord Kazzak’s platform to make sure the group is buffed and all ready to go.
Mount up, and allow the Main Tank and their assigned Healers to lead a flying entry down onto the center of the boss’s platform. The Main Tank will need to turn the boss away from whichever direction the rest of the raid is coming from as everyone else flies in and lands.
Ranged DPS and Healers will want to roughly group behind the boss at maximum range, so that members afflicted by Mark of Kazzak can easily run away from the other members of the raid. Melee DPS should be in their comfortable place behind the boss.
This encounter is a one phase DPS race and healing fest. Once the boss is in position and the Main Tank has established themselves at the top of the threat meter, DPS should open up on the boss.
Melee and Ranged DPS will want to maintain their maximum DPS rotations throughout the fight while paying attention to the mechanics as they occur. In this case, that is really just moving away from the group if you are targeted by Mark of Kazzak. You have 54 seconds to burn the boss before he enrages, so use your cooldowns and other damage dealing abilities early on!
Healers in this fight will have a lot of work to do, keeping the raid alive between regular Shadow Bolt Volleys and other raid damage as it occurs. Whenever a member of the Raid dies, the boss will heal for 70k health. Thus, it is incredibly important to keep everyone alive through this short fight.
Priests should coordinate their usage of Mass Dispel in order to not cast simultaneously and negate other raid member’s efforts. All healers should be dispelling Twisted Reflection from their fellow raid members to avoid the boss gaining back significant amounts of health from the ability. Be sure that one healer is also dispelling the Thunderclap debuff from the Main Tank to allow for sustained maximum threat generation – this is a good job for a Holy Paladin who is already assigned to healing the Main Tank.
If Doom Lord Kazzak is alive after 54 seconds when the Enrage comes around, have the entire raid run off the platform except for your Main Tank and Holy Paladins – other Paladin classes can also participate to make it easier to survive. All the Paladins should use Divine Shield to negate the effects of the 6 waves of Shadow Bolt Volley that will go out, and focus heals on the Main Tank. Ideally the rest of the raid can get off the platform in time to out range the Shadow Bolt Volley, and healers will not have to worry about keeping other raid members alive. Once the Shadow Bolt Volleys are done, everyone should return to the platform and execute the boss.
Congratulations! The Field Commander of the Burning Legion, Doom Lord Kazzak has been defeated!