- Author: Furious
- Date: October 5, 2023
- Updated: October 5, 2023
- Expansion: Cataclysm
In previous releases of Classic version of World of Warcraft we’ve seen that Blizzard has mostly followed their major patch and tier releases with the phases. Below we’re summarized high level changes for Cataclysm by major patch which should be a fair assumption that each one would represent a phase in Cataclysm Classic.
Cataclysm Patch Summary
- Patch 4.0.1 (October 12, 2010): Cataclysm Systems
- This preparatory patch introduced various system changes, including an overhaul of the talent system, significant class modifications, and the addition of reforging for item stats. It also brought a new glyph level, PvE and PvP point systems, UI updates, improved graphics, and a flexible raid lockout system.
- Patch 4.0.3a (November 23, 2010): The Shattering
- Marking Deathwing’s catastrophic return, this patch altered terrain across Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. Thousands of quests (levels 1-60) were added or updated, with several races receiving new class combinations. The patch laid the groundwork for the Cataclysm expansion.
- Patch 4.1 (April 26, 2011): Rise of the Zandalari
- Focusing on the resurgence of the Zandalari tribe, Patch 4.1 added two reworked heroic dungeons, Zul’Aman and Zul’Gurub, offering players new challenges and lore exploration.
- Patch 4.2 (June 28, 2011): Rage of the Firelands
- Introducing the Firelands raid and the Molten Front zone with daily quests, this patch allowed players to engage with new content and pursue the legendary staff, Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa’s Rest. The Dungeon Journal feature was also implemented, providing in-game information on dungeon bosses and loot.
- Patch 4.3 (November 29, 2011): Hour of Twilight
- The final major patch for Cataclysm added several features, including Transmogrification (allowing players to change gear appearance while keeping stats), and the Dragon Soul raid, marking the conclusion of the Cataclysm storyline. It also introduced three new dungeons (End Time, Well of Eternity, and Hour of Twilight), the Raid Finder tool, and revamped the Darkmoon Faire.
Phases for Cataclysm Classic
Key Features & Changes
Cataclysm Systems Patch
– Talent system overhaul
– Major class changes
– Item stats “Reforging“
– Introduction of new glyph level
– Point systems for PvE and PvP
– User interface updates
– Improved graphics
– Flexible raid lockout system
– Terrain alterations throughout Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms due to Deathwing’s return
– Introduction of new quests (levels 1-60)
– Updated level ranges for some zones
– New class combinations for existing races
– Addition of Cataclysm cinematic trailer and login screen
Rise of the Zandalari
– Addition of two new heroic 5-man dungeons: Zul’Aman and Zul’Gurub
– Content centered around the resurgence of the Zandalari tribe of trolls
Rage of the Firelands
– New daily quests in Molten Front (accessible from Mount Hyjal)
– Firelands raid introduced, featuring 10 and 25-man versions
– Opportunity to create legendary weapon Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa’s Rest
– Introduction of Dungeon Journal
Hour of Twilight
– Introduction of Transmogrification
– Addition of Dragon Soul raid
– Introduction of Raid Finder tool
– Three new heroic 5-man dungeons: End Time, Well of Eternity, and Hour of Twilight
– Revamp of Darkmoon Faire, with a new zone
– Introduction of legendary daggers “Fangs of the Father”