- Author: Taladril
- Date: July 2, 2021
- Expansion: TBC Classic
Blizzard announced today that starting tomorrow, July 2, battlegrounds will allow for same faction matchmaking to combat long queue times. This is for now a temporary experiment that takes place immediately on live servers and will last through July 6, at which point the experiment will end for data collection and to see game impact. At that point Blizzard will make a more permanent decision for what to do moving forward.
How it works
- You queue as normal for a battleground. The matchmaker will default by trying to find an opposing faction team to play against.
- If a match can’t be found in a timely manner, then the matchmaker will resort to filling out the opposing team with your own faction.
- Honor and reputation is awarded as normal.
- This matchmaking does not apply for Alterac Valley
For you RP’ers out there, the story from Blizzard is that this should be seen as a military training exercise. To help get you in character, players who play for the opposing faction will be dressing the part with masks and tabards to disguise themselves as the enemy.
Blizzard is going to open a new feedback thread on the forum specifically for reactions to how the same-faction play feels. So try it out this weekend and let them know your thoughts.
Hello, Battleground enthusiasts!
As soon as we saw Battleground queue times go way up a few weeks ago, we got to work on our options for addressing the situation. They’ve all been discussed here and elsewhere, as you know, and in addition to following your discussions closely, we looked at game history and data. What was most evident from all of your feedback was: players want to continue to play on their chosen side of the faction conflict, players don’t want to wait in long queues for BGs, and players don’t want a highly convoluted mechanism for getting into a BG.
To solve those issues as best we can, we’ve been internally testing a configuration where the War Games system is used to bring about Horde vs. Horde or Alliance vs. Alliance Battlegrounds from the regular queue, and we’re ready to test it in the live game. Here’s the plan:
- Starting tomorrow (Friday, July 2), we’re going to enable same-faction Battlegrounds.
- You’ll queue for BGs as usual, and the matchmaker will first try to make an opposite-faction match for you.
- If an opposite-faction match cannot be quickly made, you’ll be matched against a team from your faction.
- Rewards such as Honor and Reputation will be assigned as usual.
We’ve been thinking of these like military training exercises, and to help get that feeling across in-game, we’re testing putting masks and tabards on the team playing out of the enemy faction’s base.
Please note that same-faction play won’t be available for Alterac Valley, which was never hooked up for War Games and would be particularly awkward for the team that found themselves fighting alongside a great number of enemy NPCs.
We’ll follow the action closely throughout the weekend, and with scheduled maintenance next week (July 6 in this region), we’re going to return the matchmaker to its regular configuration and analyze what happened.
When same-faction play goes live tomorrow, we’ll open a new feedback thread in this forum. After you’ve played some BGs, please come to that new thread and let us know how it went.