Welcome to our lockpicking guide for WoW Classic! Lockpicking is exclusive to the rogue class and allows the ability to open locked chests, boxes, and doors. All of these can be opened with various keys, but a rogue will let you open the box with their own toolkit, eliminating the need for a key altogether! Fortunately, lockpicking is an easy skill to level.
All you need to do is open the wide variety of footlockers and junkboxes you find across Azeroth. While it isn’t difficult, raising your lockpicking skill to 300 will definitely take you some time. Between waiting for chest respawn timers, navigating between locations, and hoping for junkbox drops, there’s certainly a lot of work required to max out your lockpicking. Considering how useful the skill is, taking the time to level lockpicking is well worth it!
- Feel free to complete your rogue class quests, but remember the locations and chests you opened for them. You’ll use your lockpicking quest location to reach 70 lockpicking and your poisons quest location will take you from there to 170 lockpicking.
- If you finished your poisons quest, you will need to use your Pick Lock ability and then click on the chest to unlock it and gain your skill up.
- Your skill cap level for lockpicking will your character’s level multiplied by five. If you are level 30, this means you can reach 150 skill level in lockpicking.
- Whenever you are stealthing between lockbox locations in a zone, try to Pick Pocket any humanoids you see. This will give you junkboxes, which you can open to gain easy skill points.
- Get yourself a pair of Dark Leather Gloves! These will increase your lockpicking skill by 5, which can be extremely helpful for allowing you to move to a new area when you don’t quite meet the requirement yet.
- To successfully pick locks, you will need your Thieves’ Tools. You will acquire them during your lockpicking quest. Keep them on you at all times so you can actually pick locks.
- Lockpicking is a fantastic way of making friends and allies if you open boxes for other players. Sometimes you can charge for your services, but many players will freely offer you a tip.
- Make use of Distract and Sap to make pickpocketing much easier and to avoid entering combat. Don’t forget that you can always use Vanish if you do get caught.
- For pickpocketing, you can use this macro:
/cast Pick Pocket
This will cast Sap on your target and Pick Pocket for an easy theft and getaway!
Raising Skill Level
Rogue Lockpicking Quest (Level 16)
You can find Practice Lockboxes to pick inside the mill here.
Enter the ship by the frontside. Head below deck to find the room with Buccaneer’s Strongboxes in it.
Rogue Poisons Quests (Level 20)
Repeatedly open the chest at the top of the tower. Remember to delete the quest item afterwards and beware not to aggro the boss.
Pick the chest at the top of the tower over and over until it turns grey. You will need to destroy the quest item after each time you open the chest.
Angor Fortress, Badlands
Head to Angor Fortress in Badlands. For the first 5 levels, go upstairs and open the Battered Footlockers. Once you finish, go back down and open Dented Footlockers to reach 200 lockpicking. This is the one spot you shouldn’t bother with lockpicking because the boxes won’t actually give you any skill points.
The Slag Pits, Searing Gorge
Run all around inside The Slag Pits to find Dented Footlockers. While you’re looking for them, pickpocket whenever you can to collect Sturdy Junkboxes too. Avoid the upper levels until you are at least 225 lockpicking so you will actually be able to open the boxes you find up there. Repeat this until you reach 250 lockpicking.
Tyr’s Hand, Eastern Plaguelands
Look for Scarlet Footlockers in Tyr’s Hand. Make sure to pickpocket while you move between box locations. Once you reach 280 lockpicking, you can start opening your boxes from earlier to gain some easy points.
The last part is very easy. Simply head into the dungeon Blackrock Depths and go left. Pick the lock on the door you see here. At your first chance to go right, open the door you see there too. Now head left and unlock the first door you find. Leave the dungeon the way you came once all three doors are open. Reset it and repeat, although you will likely need to take a break after doing it five times to let your instance counter reset.